Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why Office Meets Playground

I spent a few years before having children worrying about how I was going to be able to continue to do the engaging work of research, strategy, design and innovation and also have a rich family life in which I'm very involved in raising my children. To be honest, I'm still trying to figure it all out, but it's gone from an acute concern to an understanding that it will always be a work in progress.

A critical element driving that shift is knowing that there are things that I learn at work that are very useful to me as a parent. And there are things I learn as a parent that help me at work. I'm writing this blog in the spirit of sharing those moments when I am reminded that my life isn't about a battle between the work me and the family me, rather it's about how work, family and other interests combine to create a life. Initially, I decided to write Office Meets Playground as a weekly column in another blog. But it became the part I was most interested in writing about. So now it has its very own home. I hope people don't just read it but also add their comments and share their own experiences.

No comments: